Thanks to “Access Learning” magazine, (June 2004) for recommending this activity.
Every media message is designed specifically to appeal to a “target audience.” Posted below are several advertisements taken from newspapers and magazines.
For each ad, students could ask:
- who produced the ad?
- who is the ad targeted to? (male vs. female; young vs. old; rich vs, poor; white vs. minority; urban vs. rural)
- what are the clues in each ad that reveal who the ad is trying to reach?
- what section of the newspaper (or magazine) might you find this ad? (news; business; feature, sports, travel, other ); why?
- what techniques are used to attract attention? (bold fonts; testimonials; statistics, etc.)
- how is photography used? is it effective?
Click on an ad, which will open a separate window, which can be printed.
|CNN Ad, from American Demographics magazine
CNN Ad, from NY Times (5/9/05)
|E! (from Television Week,4/05)|
|Magazines, from Oprah (Feb 2009)
Magazines (NY Times)
|Nick At Nite (from Adage website)|
|Sands Resorts, The State||Mentor, Ad Council|
|Lake Murray Magazine, The State||Alcohol Ads|
|Timberlake Golf Club, The State||Food Ads|
|Oakleaf Village, The State||Celebrity Ads|
|Freedom, magazine ad from The Ad Council||Diet Ads (weight loss)|
|Get Caught Reading, ad from People Magazine||Tobacco Ads|
|Life Cereal, from TV Guide magazine||Nick At Nite Ad, from NY Times|
|Newspapers In Education,
The State newspaper, Columbia SC
Image from website: American Advertising Federation
Images from website: American Advertising Federation